Facebook Three and a Half Degrees
An elegant brand identity and a perfectly pitched tone of voice for Facebook’s ambitious original podcast series.
- Facebook asked us to create a brand identity and tone of voice for its original podcast series: Three and a Half Degrees.
- The show explores the power of shared ideas in a world that’s drawing ever closer; while once there were 6 degrees of separation between any two people on the planet, now that figure has shortened to just 3.5.
- The branding had to strike a balance between being a part of the Facebook family, and making its own distinct mark. It had to speak to an audience that ranged from VPs and CMOs to aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Facebook’s partner Pacific Content supplied us with comprehensive research on best-in-class podcasts to inform our approach. At the same time, running our own brand essence exercise helped unearth key insights into the Three and a Half Degrees brand.
- Our conclusion was that this podcast would share powerful life lessons by showing how similar stories of strength, defeat, triumph, and business expertise reveal that we’re all more closely connected than we realise.
- We developed several creative routes centred on key principles — connection, relationships and magnetism — which were put to some of Facebook’s most senior marketing figures. The chosen route focused on bringing together disparate concepts and people, whether that might be two individuals at different ends of their careers, or in different industries.
- With Three and a Half Degrees set to roll out globally we created a series of on and off-platform promotional assets including podcast artwork, a promotional and press kit, posters, postcards and an episode intro booklet. Our branding was also flexible enough to be applied across a whole host of marketing materials, including bespoke AirPod kits for podcast guests.
- We developed an organic Instagram campaign and a series of episode-specific Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn ads. We also devised and animated a two-minute trailer that would be used to promote the series online and at real-world events.
- Our design was built upon the central concept of increased personal connection, with human figures emerging from a single unbroken “storyline” — a simple but powerful identity, instantly recognisable on both towering billboards and humble thumbnails.
- Our brand voice guides gave the show’s assets a warm, conversational approach, conjuring a sense of collaboration and inclusivity.
- Since its launch Three and a Half Degrees has been featured on Adweek, TechCrunch, Small Business Trends and USA Today.
- Listen to the Three and a Half Degrees podcast series.