Girl Effect Gavi partnership launch
A compelling animation for a new partnership to protect girls in the developing world from cervical cancer.
“Human After All are one of those unique agencies that are able to bring a sincere intelligence, efficacious creativity and good humour to every brief. They have created simple and eye capturing content and stories that have helped us unpack our purpose and approach to empowering adolescent girls.”
- Girl Effect is an independent, non-profit organisation dedicated to creating ‘a new normal’ for girls all over the world.
- This year Girl Effect teamed up with Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance, for a four-year partnership. The collaboration aims to understand and accelerate the uptake of the HPV vaccine in Rwanda, with more countries to follow.
- We were asked to create a narrative animation to launch the partnership, and to explain the benefits of the alliance to girls in developing countries.
- The animation had to be completed in time for the official launch of the partnership on October 11 - the International Day of the Girl.
- We began by discussing the themes that our animation needed to cover, especially the societal norms that hold girls back, and how Girl Effect uses brands and the media to challenge this.
- We then provided Girl Effect and Gavi with a concept deck that outlined several options for our approach to the creative, including narrative structure, animation style and typographic treatment.
- Once an approach had been chosen, we drew up a short narrative script that explored our key themes, told from the perspective of a girl living in a developing country, as well as Girl Effect’s own view.
- The script was then used as the basis of a 2-minute typographic animation, telling the story through on-screen text and interacting graphical elements. A part of the production, we also commissioned a composer to create an original soundtrack.
- We also created a brand new hero image for the campaign and several animated ‘snippets’ for sharing on social media - both drawn from the final animation.
- Finally, we helped Girl Effect to conceive an opinion editorial that could be sent to media outlets in support of the campaign launch.
- The animation and snippets were launched on Girl Effect’s and Gavi’s social sites as well as their respective websites on the International Day of the Girl.
- The final opinion editorial ran on The Huffington Post, accompanied by the new hero image. The image was also used for partner communications and on the campaign’s websites.