BAFTA Film Awards
A concept-driven campaign to inspire wonder for the BAFTA 2016 Film Awards and for cinema itself.
“As innovative, artistic and compelling as you’d expect from one of the UK’s best design agencies. This year’s Film Awards campaign and brochure covers have a beautiful simplicity and yet are layered with bewitching detail that invites you to explore them further.”
- Following our campaigns in 2014 and 2015, BAFTA asked us to create a fresh, beautiful, attention-grabbing campaign for its 2016 Film Awards.
- Once again, BAFTA also needed a wide suite of collateral: a hero image, a brochure celebrating the nominated films, awards tickets, menus and even car passes.
- This campaign needed to make people stop and stare - anywhere, at any size. We would need to art direct, design and co-ordinate printing of all collateral.
- We created a campaign concept to capture a powerful emotional at the heart of BAFTA and cinema.
- The ‘Windows to Another World’ concept showed how the cinema screen can feel like a magical portal we peer through to experience a vast realm of adventure and wonder.
- Exploring the idea that cinema doesn’t simply take place within the limits of the screen but within the limitlessness of our own imaginations, the single concept allowed every different piece of collateral to work together as a single story.
- We commissioned and art directed illustrator Levente Szabo’s beautiful artwork, which used this deceptively simple framing image to express cinematic wonder.
- It was powerful and flexible enough to be impactful on everything from outdoor advertising to online banner ads to dinner menus.
- The five different covers of the Awards Night brochures, for example, using iconic filmic silhouettes – such as The Revenant’s ferocious bear – as storytelling devices that frame and illuminate each movie nominated for Best Film.
- Working with BAFTA’s editorial team, we designed the page layout for the Awards brochure, as well as designing and printing guest’s tickets, car passes and menus.
- BBC1’s coverage of the BAFTA Film Awards was watched by 4.5 million people.
- The ‘Window to Another World’ ads gave BAFTA a huge presence across London, displaying in underground stations and on buses across the city.
- The campaign and its artwork was featured in the design press including Digital Arts Online, The Drum, Communication Arts and YCN.