Weapons of Reason: Ageing
Driven by a desire to better understand our world, Weapons of Reason is our own four-year publishing project. Issue three explores a global challenge: ageing.
"Weapons of Reason uses the power of data, images and words to reveal the rich insights that are required ingredients for addressing our most important global issues."
- Weapons of Reason (WoR) is an eight-issue publishing venture, aiming to understand and communicate the global, interconnected challenges facing our world.
- Globally, we’re living longer than ever. This is cause for celebration, but it brings a set of unique challenges. We knew we couldn’t find all the answers, so we focused on asking the right questions.
- Ageing is a problem that will affect us all medically, economically, spiritually and emotionally. We needed to inspire our readers to turn knowledge into action.
- To understand what ageing means for our planet, we sent writers out to collect stories from across the globe. From a village plagued by Alzheimer’s in Colombia, to the seniors running their own startups, we commissioned 15 articles to tell the story of ageing from diverse perspectives.
- We worked with dozens of illustrators to create intelligent, original artwork that captured the essence of each article.
- Commissioning compelling, on-the-ground stories, we showed that independent magazines aren’t just beautifully designed, but contain some of the best contemporary journalism.
- We researched and designed multiple infographics and data points to illustrate the challenges facing our ageing societies.
- Consulting with physicists, futurologists, sociologists,entrepreneurs, carers, conflict survivors, engineers and a noted sex toy manufacturer, we made sure that Weapons of Reason stayed on the cutting edge of research.
- After the release, the issue was featured in It’s Nice That, YCN and Creative Bloq.
- Reader data has revealed that Weapons of Reason is being used in secondary and tertiary education.
- So far, Weapons of Reason has picked up four industry awards, including a D&AD pencil.
- Follow Weapons of Reason on Instagram, Twitter and read this issue on Medium.