Weapons of Reason: Megacities
Driven by a desire to better understand our world, Weapons of Reason is our own four-year publishing project. Issue two explores another huge global challenge: Megacities.
"Weapons of Reason uses the power of data, images and words to reveal the rich insights that are required ingredients for addressing our most important global issues."
- Weapons of Reason (WoR) is an eight-issue publishing venture, aiming to understand and communicate the global, interconnected challenges facing our world.
- Following on from WoR’s debut issue exploring The Arctic, the theme of our second issue would be Megacities.
- We wanted to explore the challenges posed to humanity by our rising global population. We wanted to inspire our readers to turn knowledge into action.
- To understand the huge issue of megacities, we focused on the world’s hubs: the 29 ‘megacities’ with over 10 million inhabitants.
- Splitting our 140-page magazine into Past, Present and Future, we took readers on a journey from the cities of antiquity to the present day and asked experts to speculate on what the future might hold for our urban centres.
- Combining compelling, long-form storytelling with journalistic rigour, our articles exposed the deep social problems in the world’s megacities and asked how they might be solved.
- We made extensive use of data visualisation to tell the story of society’s development from rural to mega-urban.
- We consulted physicists, architects, mental health professionals, think tank directors, urban planners and trade unionists - oh, and a Mexican cab driver - to ensure Weapons of Reason stood on the cutting edge of research.
- We commissioned illustrator Jean Jullien, best-known for creating the ‘Peace for Paris’ symbol, to design a striking, intelligent front cover.